Make your own free website on
November 09 , 1998 12:05PM 
Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. 
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 9 (Bernama) -- The Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim corruption trial at the High Court here resumed today for the sixth day after a weekend break with the prosecution's first witness, outgoing Police Special Branch chief Datuk Mohd Said Awang scheduled to be cross-examined further.  

Mohd Said, who began testifying last Tuesday, the second day of the trial, is expected to be further cross-examined over an investigation report which was tendered to the court last Friday.  

The three-paged report dated Aug 20 1997 was tendered to the court by the prosecution team leader Senior Deputy Public Prosecutor Datuk Abdul Gani Patail.  

This was the report Mohd Said had submitted to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad.  

However, the report regarded "very crucial" by the defence, did not contain the names of personalities who had allegedly conspired to end Anwar's political career as suggested by one of Anwar's counsel Christopher Fernando.  

Anwar, who was sacked as Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister last Sept 2 and expelled from Umno the next day, is facing four charges of corrupt practice.  

Last Friday Fernando also applied to the court to obtain one more report dated Sept 3 1997, which Mohd Said could or could not have signed, as counsel said he was instructed by Anwar that there was such a report.  

The court allowed the application. The four charges corrupt practice against Anwar are under Section 2 (1) of  
the Emergency (Essential Powers) Ordinance No 22 1970 which carries a maximum sentence of 14 years' jail and fine up to RM20,000.  

Anwar, who is being remanded at the Sungai Buloh prison, arrived at the courthouse at 8.36 am today, six minutes after the arrival of his wife Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail and their daughter Nurul Nuha.  

Wan Azizah has been attending the trial since the first day. Mohd Said arrived at 8.31am almost simultaneously with Judge Datuk S. Augustine Paul while members of the prosecution team came together at 8.35 am.  

The High Court began today's hearing at 9.25 am. Courts police chief DSP Tan Kok Liang said today's attendance of 108 people was the highest number accommodated in the court since the trial began.  

They comprised 33 journalists, members of the public (25), Anwar's family members (20), lawyers (nine), prosecution (six), police personnel on duty inside  
the trial court (10), interpreters (three), one public address system technician and Justice Augustine Paul.  

Outside the court as up to 9.30 am, members of the public were still anxiously queueing for a turn to take over seats from those leaving the trial.  

Notwithstanding the tight security, there was visibly fewer policemen maintaining order around the courthouse compared to their number deployed last week.  

As of 11 am the situation around the court, which is part of the Sultan Abdul Samad Building in Jalan Raja, was normal.  

Several foreign observers who followed last week's hearing were replaced by their colleagues. The Anwar Ibrahim trial has attracted foreign observers including those from non-govermental organisations who were seen daily queueing up outside the courthouse as early as 6.30 am to secure the limited public gallery seats. -- BERNAMA  


Copyright ©1998 BERNAMA. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior express permission of BERNAMA.